What is maki? Maki is a classic Japanese dish consisting of sushi and raw vegetables, wrapped in seaweed. Sounds good, right? Well, this spicy, baked scallop and avocado maki sushi is sure to be the best maki you've ever tasted. Try it out.
This funky-looking maki roll is nothing like you've tasted before! Kin Chan of Fish Market Sushi Bar starts with a basic avocado roll. The roll is then mounded and baked with a salad of scallops and crab sticks mixed with Japanese mayonnaise and spicy sriracha. Each piece of the roll is a massive mouthful of spicy scallop goodness. Keep napkins ready.
Makes 2 maki rolls
* 10 medium bay scallops (Nantucket Bay recommended): if frozen, defrost & pat dry thoroughly with paper towel
* 2 crab sticks, shredded
* ¼ cup Japanese mayonnaise mixed with 1 tbsp sriracha hot chili sauce
* 1 tbsp scallions, thinly sliced
* 2 half-sheet pieces of nori (dried seaweed)
* 1 cup cooked sushi rice
* 1 tsp toasted white sesame seeds
* 1 avocado, cut into 12 slices
* non-stick cooking spray
* wasabi paste
* pickled ginger
* soy sauce
* bamboo sushi mat wrapped in plastic film
* bowl of ice water for hands
* baking sheet
It’s Cyber Monday on WonderHowTo! Don’t miss out on all the big sales in the Gadget Hacks shop and Null Byte shop. Use code CMSAVE20 to save on everything, and use CMSAVE40 for all things apps and software. For online courses, apply code CMSAVE70 for the biggest discounts.