How to Make spicy salmon maki sushi rolls
Maki is a great Japanese sushi dish consisting of sushi and raw vegetables, wrapped in seaweed. Well, if you want to make your own maki at home, learn from a professional, like in this video. He'll teach you how to make the perfect spicy salmon maki sushi roll.
Jacky Poon of Fish Market Sushi Bar demonstrates the easy technique of rolling maki. Jacky fills his roll with a delectable combination of salmon, avocado and a spicy Japanese mayonnaise that gets its kick from a hot chili sauce. After mastering Jacky's maki, use his basic techniques to get creative with different maki filling.
Makes 1 roll
* 1 half sheet of nori (dried seaweed)
* ½ cup cooked sushi rice
* ½ tsp toasted white sesame seeds
* 2-3 slices salmon belly, 2½" x ½" x 1"
* 2 slices avocado
* 1 tsp sriracha (hot chili sauce)
* 2 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
Additional Ingredients for Serving
* wasabi paste
* picked ginger
* soy sauce
1. Mix sriracha and mayonnaise in a small bowl and set aside
2. Lay nori sheet on a dampened surface
3. Press ½ cup sushi rice onto nori sheet in an even layer with dampened hands
4. Sprinkle sesame seeds over rice and press gently to adhere
5. Flip roll over on plastic-lined bamboo mat (nori side up)
6. Lay slices of avocado and salmon lengthwise across center of roll
7. Drizzle a line of spicy mayo across avocado and salmon
8. Start to roll make with help from bamboo mat, meeting both lengths, and pressing to form roll
9. Slice into 6 even pieces and plate with pickled ginger and wasabi paste. Serve with soy sauce