Rice seems like an easy task, right? But it depends on what you're using it for. Rice for sushi is totally different than just plain, ordinary rice. Watch this video recipe to see how to prepare sushi rice the right way.
Making your own sushi rice is easy when you know the necessary ingredients and steps. Make sure to allow 24 hours to create a vinegar, sugar, salt and seaweed mixture that's essential for a successful outcome. Jacky Poon of Fish Market Sushi Bar shares his recipe and once you master it yourself, you'll be ready to make his delicious Spicy Salmon Maki.
Makes enough rice for 10 maki rolls
* ½ cup rice vinegar
* ¼ cup sugar
* 2 tbsp kosher salt
* 2 small pieces of konbu (dried seaweed)
* 2 cups Japanese rice, rinsed well & drained
* water to cook rice (amount depends upon individual rice cooker instructions)
* rice cooker
1. Mix vinegar, sugar, salt and konbu. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours
2. Rinse rice under cold water, and drain. Repeat until the water runs clear
3. Place rice in cooker with water according to rice cooker directions and turn to cook
4. Once the cooker's light indicator clicks from 'cook' to 'warm,' allow the rice to sit in the cooker an additional 10 minutes before opening
5. Slowly drizzle vinegar mixture evenly over top of rice, and wait 10 seconds for the vinegar to run to the rice on the bottom of the cooker. Lightly fold rice so assure that the vinegar is evenly dispersed
6. Let cool for 20-30 minutes before using for sushi
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.